Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Ulysses

Surprising amount of subtext in an episode which has Xena fall in love with Ulysses. At their first encounter, just after a battle, they express admiration for each other, and are sending little lusty vibes towards each other. Visually, though, Gabrielle is standing in the background, between them, looking on confusedly. To regain Ulysses' ship, Gabrielle dresses provocatively and dances for the pirate crew; while Xena is sneaking aboard behind the audience, she deliberately pauses to admire Gabrielle's "slinking." Xena takes position and announces "Hey boys, I want in on the fun, too." Sailing towards Ithaca, Xena and Ulysses express their love for each other and Ulysses call Xena his "soul mate." Gabrielle is in her bed, awake, and looking troubled. Gabrielle questions Xena about her feelings, whether they are genuine or not. "I need to know." A look passes between them; Xena IS in love. "Promise me one thing?" "What?" replies Xena. "You'll follow your heart, and don't worry about me." "You're part of my heart." Later in the same conversation: "Gabrielle, you've been so good for me. I don't think I would ever have let myself feel the way I feel now about Ulysses if it wasn't for you teaching me how to love." "Did you say love?!" asks Gabrielle, surprised. When Ulysses' wife is found alive, Xena breaks off the relationship. "I'm sorry Ulysses; I should have been more honest with you the other day." "What do you mean?" "I'm not in love with you. I don't think I ever could be. I like my life the way it is." "I don't believe you. I think you are in love with me." "Well, isn't that just a typical man. I give you a few smiles and a kiss and your convinced I'm in love with you. You're kidding yourself; I was embarrassed with all that mush you were spewing the other night. The only reason I didn't shoot you down right then is because I didn't think you could handle it. So let me lay it on the line for you, Ulysses: Your not my type."
kgalles points out: U and X are talking. Gabs walks down in the middle of it and finishes Xena's sentence "Gabrielle....goes where Xena goes." When X and G talk about U joining them, they talk as if they will be a threesome. There is no hint that G will be left out and that X and U will form a couple in her stead.

No comments:

Post a Comment