Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Locked Up and Tied Down

  • The episode opens with Gabrielle giving Xena a very satisfying backrub.
    • "I can't find it" says Gabrielle, searching Xena's back.
      "It's there."
      "I got it; I got it!" (she doesn't have it.)
      "Gabrielle, stop searching with your eyes."
      "Alright, no eyes" says Gabrielle as she moves fully behind Xena and REALLY starts rubbing.
      "Find it?" Xena then lets out a satisfied moan. "You found it."
      "I learn from the best."
  • Xena's remembrances of Thelassa have a lot of tension to them. Perhaps a crush?
    • At the trial, Xena describes Thelassa as having "a light," a term she frequently, and until this moment, exclusively, uses to describe Gabrielle.
    • As they part on the wharf, Xena explains:
      • "Gabrielle, she was like you. She had your kind of spirit."
      • Xena reaches up to touch Gabrielle's face. The guards seperate them, and they try to hold hands as long as possible.
  • Gabrielle and Thelassa share an intimate scene of soft dialogue and probing looks.
    • "Where does it hurt?" asks Gabrielle, provocatively. *
    • "You'll need to put this salve on twice a day," says Gabrielle.
      "Will you do it for me?"
      "When I come for treatments, yes."
    • "You have such warmth and beauty. I had that once, too," says Thelassa.
      "If you give yourself a chance, you may rediscover your soul."
    • "You can't wait to serve, can you?" asks Thelassa after Gabrielle has treated her.
  • The lead guard is immediately jealous of Gabrielle's relationship with Thelassa.
    • "Wouldn't want anything to happen to her pet healer, now, would we?
  • Thelassa feels betrayed by Gabrielle.
    • "What a fool I was. You know, I thought you liked me but you're only using me to free her."
    • "You know, for a moment I was begining to believe what you said about rediscovering the beauty of my soul."
      "It was happening. I could see it."
      "Gabrielle, it's over."
  • Thelassa, despite what Gabrielle has done, is hesitant at first to condemn her to the hangman, and then finally backs down, unable to do it.
  • Xena arrives at the courtyard where all the prisoners are fighting the guards in a large riot. Xena just pushes her way through saying, "Get out of my way! Gabrielle?!"
  • Thelassa reveals what Gabrielle has done for her.
    • "Your friend here, she helped me get back in touch with something these last few days. My soul."
* comment provided by Shaman.
Notes:
Now, what more proof do you need that this is a series about lesbians, than the fact that they've finally done the required women's prison episode. This lesbian staple of american cinema is finally given the Xena treatment, but the twist is that all the tension is between Gabrielle and Thelassa. It seems thay are barely restraining themselves from tearing off each other's clothes in the scene where they meet each other. Is Gabrielle trying to keep her options open in case Xena has to stay in jail?

No comments:

Post a Comment