Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Blind Faith

In this episode, Gabrielle is kidnapped by your usual lot of clueless baddies, who seem not to think of Xena as a threat, and have a rather dim plan of marrying Gabrielle to a dead guy. Whatever. Gabrielle confronts Vedalis, who is working for her captors, and says "Look, my best friend is Xena, warrior princess, and she is not going to like this forced wedding thing, if you get my drift." Meanwhile, Xena has captured Palimone and is on her way to rescue Gabrielle even though she is going blind. Palimone asks her why she is not heading towards Athens for the cure; "I've got to save my friend!" she replies. ""That must be some friend." Later, Gabrielle confides in Vedalis (after all, he is effeminate.) "Have you ever been in love, Vedalis? Huh? I mean really in love?" "Well...there was a certain...someone" he responds. "Now when you think of that person can you imagine being with anyone else?" retorts Gabrielle. Vedalis shakes his head and whispers "no." "Well now you know how I feel. I can't marry the king because my heart belongs to another. And even though I can't be with them (him?) now, I'm not ready to be with anyone else." After Xena does her rescuing thing (while blind), she and Gabrielle share a hug which seems so intimate (Gabrielle's head on her breast) that Palimone turns his head away in respect. After the cure for Xena's blindness is found, Xena focuses her eyes on Gabrielle and says "Now that's a sight for sore eyes." Finally, Gabrielle watches Palimone walk off towards his new found heroic life and says "You know...he's kind of attractive when he's not kidnapping me." Vedalis jumps in, "I agree. You know, he and I dealt with those guards quite handily. I think I might follow him and see if he needs a sidekick." "You know, it's pretty good work if you can get it" says Gabrielle. Hmm...attraction between sidekick and hero? Reminds me of something...
AlBi points out: when Gabby goes to apply the lotion to Xena's eyes, she cups Xena's head in her hand, and tilts it up towards her, in a most intimate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment